Let’s be honest; being a left-handed user can cause a lot of inconveniences. Unfortunately, it’s a fact that companies still make products that heavily cater to right-handed users. One such product is a fishing reel.
But thankfully, it’s pretty easy to turn a right-handed reel handle into a left-handed one. Thus, read through our article on how to change a fishing reel from right to left-handed.
How To Change A Fishing Reel?
If you’ve never had to change a fishing reel, don’t worry, switching reels isn’t that hard. Maybe it’s not you who wishes to use the reel but your friend to whom you want to lend it.
But what do you do if you only possess right-handed fishing reels?
Whatever the case, remember that you don’t have to change the entire tool. You are going to make changes only to the arm of the fishing reel. That is, you’re switching the arm of the reel from a right-handed reel to a left-handed one.
Some users prefer to use their left hand for reeling purposes. At the same time, they might be using their right hand to hold the spinning reel and fishing rod.
Similarly, some fisherman uses their right hand for reeling. But they prefer to use their left hand to hold the fishing rod and spinning reel.
The methods we’re going to provide you relate to both sides. Thus, it matters not which side you belong to.
With that in mind, the following are how to change a fishing reel from right to left-handed.
How To Change A Fishing Reel From Right To Left-Handed?
When it comes to changing the arms of the fishing reel, you’ll be able to do that with almost all of them. But, at the same time, it pertains to only those tools employed alongside spinning rods.
With such reels, you’ll be able to easily switch the arms by following these steps.
- Step 1: Take the reel in your hands and check the right section. You’ll be able to see a dust cap. Unscrew that. Continue to turn the screws until it becomes loose enough to come out.
- Step 2: Now, look at the fishing reel again. But this time, head to the left section of the reel. The handle of the reel will be in front of you. Unscrew that. If you turn it in a clockwise direction, you’d be able to do that.
- Step 3: Head to the area from where you just removed the dust cap. It’ll be on the right section of the fishing reel. Take the arm of the reel and place it in that area. Once you do that, you would need to tighten it.
- Step 4: For that purpose, twist the fishing reel in a clockwise direction.
- Step 5: With the reel in your hand, look at the left side. You’ll see an opening there. Take the dust cap that you removed in Step 1 and insert it. And there you go! You’ve completed the steps to change the arm of the fishing reel.
How To Change A Fishing Reel From Left To Right Handed?
You already know how to change the fishing reel for left-handed users. However, in the case that you lent it to your friend, you’d need to change it back to its original state.
For such purposes, you need to follow the same steps. But all the rights will become left and vice versa.
- Step 1: Grab the fishing reel and take hold of the arm in your hands. After that, look over towards the left section.
- Step 2: The dust cap will be in front of you. Unscrew that. Continue to turn the screws until it becomes loose enough to come out.
- Step 3: With the fishing reel still in your hands, head to the right side. You’ll be able to see the handle of the reel. You need to unscrew that. For that, you need to follow a counter-clockwise direction for twisting the reel handle.
- Step 4: Now, head to the opening from where you just removed the dust cap. It’ll be on the reel’s left section. Go ahead and place the arm of the reel in that opening. Also, follow a counter-clockwise direction and secure the reel by turning it.
- Step 5: Look at the right section; you’ll see another opening. Take the dust cap that you removed in Step 2 and insert it in the slot. Ensure that you secure the dust cap properly by twisting it. And that’s it! You returned your fishing reel to its original state.
Points To Consider
- Use Lubricants.
You must make use of lubricants for the excellent maintenance of your tools. While you’re making the above changes, it gives you a chance to lubricate your reel.
The effects of using a lubricant will become evident when you go fishing. You’ll be able to cast your reel a lot more easily.
At the same time, your reel will be able to reach spots that are further away.
- Only Applicable to Spinning Reels.
You must pay heed that the methods we provided only pertain to spinning reels. The steps do not work in the case of the baitcasting reel.
That’s because the latter houses the hand of the reel on the right section. But if you look at your spinning reel, the handle is on the left section.
We hope that you were able to follow through with the detailed steps we provided.
But did we miss out on any steps regarding how to change your reel?
Or it could be the case that you’re stuck in one of the steps.
Whatever the case may be, get in touch so that we can assist you more. To do that, simply comment down below explaining your queries.
We will surely make it a point to get back to you.